Tuesday, October 13, 2009

News :Living in a pub helped shape my career, says Wenger


Soccer Extreme : Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger credits living in a pub for helping to shape his outlook on life and knowledge of football, media reported on Friday.

Wenger's parents owned a bistro called La Croix d'Or in the little French village of Duttlenheim where he would spend hours in the company of the football-loving customers.

The Frenchman spoke about his early life at the League Managers Association's conference a! t his Premier League club's Emirates Stadium on Thursday.

"There is no better psychological education than growing up in a pub because when you are five or six years old you meet all different people and hear how cruel they can be to each other, " he told delegates.

"You hear the way they talk to each other like saying 'You're a liar.' And from an early age you get a practical psychological education into the minds of people.

"It is not often that a boy of five or six is always living with adults in a little village.

"I even learned about tactics and selection from the people talking about football in the pub... who plays on the left wing and who should be in the team."

Wenger, who turns 60 next month, became a manager in his early 30s and had thought he would retire from the job at 50.

"I said I'd stop at 50 but now I don't believe in retiring unless you have to. I never have days where I think I can live wi! thout it. But I know some day I will do something different." ! (reuters)
Related Hot News :
teens,